When you’re trying to make healthy changes to your diet, breakfast can get a little challenging, especially if you’re used to eating traditional breakfast foods like cereal, toast, and bagels—all processed grains that quickly turn to sugar in the body. A high-protein breakfast, like eggs with avocado and berries, is a better choice that will keep your blood sugar and energy levels stable. But how many days in a row can you eat eggs? And sometimes something sweet just sounds so good!
My daughter, Shayna shared this porridge recipe with me and I absolutely love it! The base of the recipe is cauliflower rice and coconut milk. You can make your own riced cauliflower in a food processor, but I buy organic cauliflower rice at Costco, and the porridge is ready in minutes! Leftovers keep for several days and this morning I ate it cold; it was just as good! Feel free to experiment a little. I’ve added cardamom, cinnamon and a little mashed banana, and it was delicious. The recipe is loaded with coconut milk and coconut flakes so you’re getting plenty of healthy fat. You might want to eat some bacon, turkey bacon or sausage along with it to add some protein. I made a batch of turkey sausage patties and heated a couple of them up each morning to eat with my porridge.
Instead of beginning the morning with a grain that turns to sugar, you’ll be starting your day with a healthy serving of cauliflower; a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables, known to be cancer fighting. Cauliflower is a superfood that contains the following:
- Sulforaphane, a compound that has been shown to activate detoxification, kill cancer cells, and slow tumor growth.
- Indole-3-carbinol, an anti-inflammatory compound.
- Vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, potassium, B6, folate, and manganese.
- Choline, a B vitamin that can improve memory and cognitive function.
- Fiber for healthy digestion and elimination.
- Antioxidants that protect your cells from free radical damage.
Hmm… a breakfast that’s easy to make, is full of nutrients, and tastes amazing? You can find the recipe for Warm Porridge with lemon and berries here.
What are you having for breakfast?